YouTube has rolled out one of the most comprehensive revamps which gives new features and the first major change is a redesigned YouTube app for mobile devices and the company stated that it will ‘bring a new level of functionality and a more consistent look across’ mobile and desktop layouts of the websites.
The revamped YouTube app includes a clean design language, gestures that can move the video around along with the ability to perform functionalities like rewind or fast-forward. It is also possible to control the playback speed of videos for mobile app with this revamp.
All the videos will seamlessly change their shape to match the video format. The videos will change between vertical, horizontal or square orientations, depending on how users are viewing the video which provides the best viewing experience. There is also a row of suggested videos while watching the video in full screen mode.
The desktop side of YouTube, the Material Design revamp is rolled out to everyone. The company claims that material design ensures that the look is simple, fresh and intuitive with content as the focal point in the entire experience.
YouTube has also updated its iconic logo to match the ‘multi-screen world’ and ‘flexible design’ that will work across all these screens.
Below are the new features in crisp.
- Clean new design: The header white will let content take the lead and moved the navigation tabs to the bottom of the app so they’re closer to your thumbs. There is a new Library and Account tabs that give you easy access to what you’re looking for.
- Videos that move with you: A gesture that allows you to double tap on the left or right side of a video to fast forward or rewind 10 seconds. There is an experiment with a feature that lets you jump between videos with a simple swipe of your hand: just swipe left to watch a previous video or swipe right to watch the next one.
- Watch at your own pace: Users are able to speed up and slow down the playback of a video on desktop.
- Adapt to any video, beautifully: YouTube player will seamlessly change shape to match the video format you’re watching, such as vertical, square or horizontal.
- Browse and discover while you watch: A recently added feature lets you view a row of suggested videos while you’re watching in full screen.