The Xiaomi Black Shark smartphone was launched on 13th April in China. It is the first gaming handset by investment back up by Xiaomi on Black Shark technology. The Black Shark gaming phone is already available for pre-order on Xiaomi’s China site and Chinese e-commerce sites like YouPin and JD.com and the shipping is to start from 20th April.
The Black Shark has the latest Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor, powered by 4000mAh battery that appears to charge over USB-C. The handset also has an integrated liquid cooling system which Xiaomi claims can lower the CPU temperature by 8 degree Celsius. This would provide an optimal gaming performance without heating up the device.
There is no microSD card slot but comes in two variations of 6GB or 8GB RAM with 64GB or 128GB internal storage. The lack of headphone jack is a bit-odd and can be annoying for some but the phone does offer a special analog stick attachment that can be used for certain games.
The Black Shark runs on Android skin, JOY UI and not on Xiaomi’s MIUI and has a fingerprint scanner to pull up a shortcut menu when the game is active. You can also attach a gamepad similar to the Switch in Nintendo. The first 50,000 buyers will get it for free. It comes with its own 340mAh battery which can be recharged. The gamepad connect your phone via Bluetooth.
- 99-inch full HD+ display with a resolution of 1080×2160 pixels and pixel density of 403 ppi.
- aspect ratio of 18:9 which means reduced bezels on sides.
- Measures 161.62×75.4×9.25mm and weighs 190 grams
- Dual Nano-SIM device
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor with Adreno 630 GPU for graphics performance
- 6GB/8GB RAM with 64GB/128GB internal storage
- 4000mAh battery and supports Quick Charge 3.0 technology.
- Dual rear cameras with 12MP primary sensor and a 20MP secondary lens, both with f/1.75 aperture and LED flash.
- 20MP with f/2.2 aperture front camera
- Connectivity options – 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, AGPS, and Glonass.
- Sensors – Gyroscope, Geomagnetic, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, and Ambient Light sensor.
- Colour variations – Polar Night and Sky Gray
There’s no indication if the phone will launch anywhere outside of China. The pricing starts at ¥2,999 (around $480) for the 6GB/64GB variant, the 8GB/128GB model will cost ¥3,499 (around $560) and the gamepad separately will cost ¥179 (about $28).