As promised Xiaomi has announced Xiaomi Mi 8 smartphone in China. Xiaomi celebrating its 8th anniversary by announcing the device, comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, dual cameras and dual GPS. Mi8 is the first smartphone from Xiaomi to feature a notch on the display. Device uses an in-house infrared solution for 3D Face Unlock that works even in a dark environment.
Xiaomi also announced an exclusive version, Mi 8 Explore Edition. Mi 8 Explore edition comes with an underscreen fingerprint scanner and transparent back panel that shows the internals of the device. Xiaomi also confirmed that it scored 105 in DxO Mark for photo and the overall DxO Mark score is 99. Xiaomi Mi 8 comes with 3D face recognition that uses advanced structured lighting technology to capture 33,000 facial points, it will also allow users to create animated emojis based on user’s facial expressions.
Xiaomi Mi 8 / Mi 8 Explorer Edition specifications
- Features 6.21-inch Full HD+ 18:9 aspect ratio AMOLED display
- Powered by Snapdragon 845 2.8GHz Octa-Core with Adreno 630 GPU
- Packs 6GB RAM with 64GB / 128GB / 256GB internal storage, 8GB RAM with 256GB internal storage in Mi 8 Explorer Edition
- Sports 12MP + 12MP dual rear camera, 12MP primary sensor features 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, Optical zoom, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP rear camera with Samsung S5K3M3 sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 2X zoom. 20MP selfie camera with real-time AI portraits
- Runs on Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9, upgradable to MIUI 10
- 3400mAh battery with QC 4+ fast charging in Mi 8 and 3000mAh battery with QC 4+ fast charging in Mi 8 Explorer Edition
- Other features includes Dual SIM (nano + nano), IR Face unlock (Mi 8) / 3D Face unlock (Mi 8 Explorer Edition), Fingerprint sensor (Mi 8) / in-display fingerprint sensor (Mi 8 Explorer Edition), Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
Xiaomi Mi 8 will be available in Black, Blue, Gold and White colours. 6GB RAM with 64GB internal storage cost 2699 yuan (US$ 421), 128GB storage variant cost 2999 yuan (US$ 468) and 256GB storage variant cost 3299 yuan (US$ 512). Mi 8 Explorer Edition cost 3699 yuan (US$ 577). Devices will be available starting 5th June in China.